Saturday, August 9, 2014

Stop thinking and do it........

I stand at the start of what I hope will be an enlightening adventure. Shedding off layers of stuff, stuff that holds "sentimental" value. I have come to believe that the object that I "just can't part with" is only really related to a memory of something that happened in my life. Taking away the object wont take away my memory. Nothing can take that away. I am still in the stages of defining the parameters of this journey, I have to be reasonable and understand that the shared objects we have in the house (furniture and the like) maybe can't count in the 500 objects. I am going to start with objects that I own personally. Once I get started, who knows where the journey will take me. All I know is that, if I need to move my life, it won't be nearly as heavy as it feels now.  As a culture, we are told that our value is linked to what we have. Bigger houses, bigger cars, more things, buy buy buy. There is a problem with that, can we ever feel good enough. Your cell phone may work just fine but there have been 2 new models since you bought yours. We are told "upgrade, upgrade, get the latest," but why ? What is wrong with what we have?

So I vow not to buy anything new unless I NEED it. And hopefully, I will pass hapiness onto others in the form of donating items that could better be used by someone else.

And so it begins..........

2 comments:

  1. I know the years I spent on my boat were the most care-free. In part that was de to not having a whole lot of stuff. I have had this chat with Megan . . . Everything u bring into your life requires some form of care and attention, even something as simple as a new sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, even the smallest thing you do to cut back will be an inspiration to me. I hope you'll keep blogging about the process. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete